Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside, March 31, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ironman 70.3 California at Oceanside was my first race of the 2007 season. This turned out to be a guys' weekend as Mike, Erhan, Timo, and I drove down to Oceanside (just north of San Diego) from the Bay Area in Mike's van. It took us roughly 9 hours to drive down.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I ran into Michellie Jones (2006 Ironman World Champion) at the expo. Afterwards, we headed over to get registered by the marines.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Timo and I found out that we would both start in the same wave group - the last wave start of the race. This would be our first time where we would really race each other, and also the last time for a couple of years since Timo is moving up to the 30-34 age group in a month.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Paula Newby-Fraser (in the NA shirt), one of the greatest, helping out at the registration.

SWIM

Our swim wave went off at 7:48am. By this time, almost 1800 racers had already started. The gun went off and it took me a few minutes to clear the frenzy of swimmers to find my own space. I settled into a good rhythm and swam comfortably. On the swim back to the transition, we all had a really bad glare from the rising sun, and I was a little disoriented.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(excuse me!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Official Swim Time: 0:36:20 (h:m:s)

T1

The first transition went well. As I reached my rack I saw Timo still taking off his wetsuit. I quickly took mine off and rushed out of there.

Official T1 Time: 4:05 (m:s)

BIKE

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(leaving the Oceanside harbor at the beginning of the bike leg)

At about 1 mile into the bike course, I ate a Powergel. When I tried to put the wrapper in my back pocket, I lost my balance and ran right off the road into a big dirt run-off. Luckily, I didn't crash. I decided to relax a little bit since I could have almost ended my race right then and there.

Timo and I stayed within 20 meters of each other for the majority of the bike leg. We hit all 3 major climbs of the course together and passed hundreds of other bikers. I was leading Timo up the last climb and expected to see him in the opposite direction as I went through a 180-degree turn - but I didn't.... something had happened to him. I was hoping that he hadn't gotten a flat tire and that he was okay. It turns out that he had pulled over to vomit - Half-Ironman baby!

I felt pretty strong throughout the bike leg.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Official Bike Time: 2:46:45 (h:m:s) = 20.1 mph


T2

Official T2 Time: 1:55 (m:s)


RUN

The run... ah yes, a half-marathon after all of this. The first mile was brutal - I was feeling cramps developing in all of my leg muscles, but just like at Vineman, they went away after a mile.

I looked down at my watch and saw that I ran the first mile in 8 minutes even with the cramps. Since my pace at Vineman had been a 9:10, I figured that holding 8 would be a huge improvement, so this became my goal.

I was holding steady and felt great. I caught up to Erhan (who had started 48 minutes earlier) around mile 4, and at about the same time I saw Timo coming in the other direction. This was a 2-loop run course and was great for figuring out how you were doing compared to your competition.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was hoping to have a negative split on the run, but the cramps started coming back around mile 11 and they slowed me down.

Official Run Time: 1:46:32 (h:m:s) = 8:08 minutes/mile pace

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

OFFICIAL TOTAL TIME: 5:15:36 (h:m:s)

I finished 66 out of 188 in the Men 25-29 age group, and 497th overall out of 1950 racers. This was a really well organized race, and the weather was great. Congrats also to Mike and Timo for their great performances, and also to Erhan for completing his first half-ironman.

Post-race
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Post-race having margaritas!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Erhan said...

Congratualtions! 5h15min!! why dont you try to do this as a pro for a few years...
You did not have to put Timo's nail on the blog!